This blog is part of a series that responds to common confusion we see in the industry between Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business. Which option to choose and why? In this series you’ll find context, answers, and guidance for deployment and driving adoption within your organization. Here is the first installment of a 6 part series on deploying Microsoft Teams.
Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business have always had some overlap when it came to functionality. This has prompted some businesses to choose one solution over the other. That is changing as Skype for Business is morphing to Microsoft Teams (it’s not a one to one mapping, but part of the Microsoft digital transformation of Skype for Business). As of Q4 2018, Microsoft started moving its 220,000 employees and vendors to Microsoft Teams-only mode for all communications and collaboration needs, including calling, instant messaging, and meetings. Microsoft Teams fits in with the Microsoft 365 collaboration portfolio by giving Microsoft teams easy access to the information they need in a dedicated hub for teamwork.
There are five attributes of Microsoft Teams that help close-knit Microsoft Teams to perform at their best:
- Chat for keeping everyone in the know with chat history, whether across the Microsoft Teams or in a private chat
- Dedicated hub for teamwork where team members have easy access to everyday apps
- Customizable for the way different teams collaborate
- Designed to provide excellent collaboration experience while upholding commitments to safeguard customer and user data, to secure their rights to make decisions about that data, and to be transparent about what happens to that data
- Microsoft Teams Calling capabilities enables call forwarding, call park, audio conferencing and out of office support to name a few. For more details visit https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/cloud-voice-deployment
1. Chat for today’s modern Microsoft Teams
- Enjoy public and private conversations with your teams. The deep integration of video into the application brings you favorite social features, such as adding emojis and custom memes to discussions.
- A hub for teamwork
- Microsoft Teams offer a shared workspace for the various applications in Microsoft Office including PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Planner, OneNote, SharePoint, Delve, and Power BI. This feature allows the team members to work natively without having to stress about toggling between applications.
- Because Microsoft Teams is integrated with Office 365, team members have quick access to the information they need, whether they are files shared through SharePoint, notes in OneNote or tasks in Planner. Excel, PowerPoint, Word, PDFs, and other documents can be shared and opened right in the app.
- If you’re working in an environment where intelligent service like receiving tickets, Microsoft Teams can be a go-to tool for surfacing these applications through the user’s This added functionality will assist the user with information sharing, discovery, and relevancy.
- Customizable for each team
- Being able to customize is an essential feature for any application. It is true that all organizations are unique. If the user is looking for a tool that will increase engagement in the organization, then Microsoft Teams is the answer.
- This new tool can be tailored to meet all the unique business and cultural needs of the organization. Microsoft Teams gives the organization a platform with options for extensibility and open APIs along with security graph API.
- Through the leveraging of Microsoft Exchange’s Connector model, Microsoft Teams can provide the user with updates and notifications from third-party services like GitHub and Twitter.
- With added support for Microsoft’s Bot Framework, the organization will be able to create and customize the applications and other intelligent services to integrate with Microsoft Teams.
- Security Teams Trust
- Microsoft 365 has firm commitments around security, compliance, privacy, and Microsoft Teams was built using these same principles to deliver an enterprise-grade platform.
- Microsoft Teams has compliance built-in, with support for industry standards including accessibility, ISO 27001 and 27018, SOC 1 and SOC 2, HIPAA, EU Model Clauses and more.
- Microsoft recently added information features that you’ve come to expect from Office 365 apps and services– Archive, eDiscovery, Legal Hold, Compliance Content Search, Auditing and Reporting. These features help you control sensitive information if your business has specific security requirements for content security and data use.
- Microsoft Teams protects team data securely using strong security measures including two-factor authentication, hard passwords, and access policies. Your data is always encrypted, whether it is chatting, notes or files.
- To provide customers the utmost transparency, customers can see an uptime, the location of their data, and detailed reports of how Office 365 controls map to the security, privacy, compliance and risk management controls defined in the Cloud Security Alliance Cloud Control Matrix (CSA CCM).
- Microsoft Teams uses the Phone System add-on in Microsoft 365. To connect Microsoft Teams to the PSTN, you can add Calling Plans where they are available. Microsoft Teams has a feature called Direct Routing; this gives you the ability to connect Microsoft Teams to your existing lines or PBX using only a Session Border Controller (SBC).
Please be on the look out for future blogs in this Blog Series on Microsoft Teams and keeping your information compliant and secure.
Our next blog will highlight the user experience of Microsoft Teams and how you can be a Superstar using Teams.
If you need any support or help in ensuring you are HIPAA/HITRUST CSF Compliant feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org we will be happy to assist. Lumen21 is a Microsoft Azure Cloud Gold partner and a premier provider of HITRSUT CSF Compliant Cloud Computing that combines all the benefits of a proven cloud infrastructure with a compliant security framework. Lumen21 was also awarded as the Microsoft U.S. Public Sector Health & Life Sciences Cloud Partner of the Year Award in 2016. We are here to help.
For more details visit www.lumen21.com